Thursday, March 09, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

*Note to the reader: I'm posting this early because I'm not sure if I'll have blogger access on my trip.

24 years ago, somewhere between 9 & 10am on March 11th, 1982, I entered the world at St. Mary's Hospital in St. Louis, MO. As I declare my birthday an official holiday, here are a few other cool things that happened on March 11th:
  • 1818: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is published.
  • 1861: The Confederate States of America adopted its constitution.
  • 1888: A torrential rainstorm hit the East Coast. The rain turned to snow the next day and it became the Blizzard of 1888, the most famous snowstorm in American history. It caused more than 400 deaths. (not cool, but definitely cold)
  • 1930: William Howard Taft became the first U.S. president to be buried in the National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.
  • 1941: President Roosevelt signs the Lend-Lease Bill.
  • 1942: General Douglas MacArthur leaves the Philippines saying, "I shall return."
  • 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev became head of the Soviet Union following the death of Konstantin Chernenko. At 54, he was the youngest member of the ruling Politburo.
  • 1990: Augusto Pinochet of Chile, dictator since 1973, steps down.
  • 1990: A newly elected parliament in Lithuania declared its independence from the Soviet Union.
  • 1993: Janet Reno won unanimous Senate confirmation to be the first female U.S. Attorney General.



  • Just a few famous people born on my birthday:
    Douglas Adams (1952) -- the answer is...42.
    Bobby McFerrin (1950) -- Don't worry, be happy.
    Sam Donaldson (1934) -- Hold on, Mr. President!

    Everyone should now celebrate!

    No comments: