Saturday, April 08, 2006

In the Last 10 Days . . .

A brief summary of what's been going on:

Last weekend started at 2:30pm on Friday; because I had worked the early shift at my grown-up job. I went home, took a nap, then went out with some friends. My plan was to have a diet coke, hang out a bit, & go home rather early, because I had to be at the Zoo at 8am Saturday . . . but when we got to the bar, W was ordering "another round" & the evening continued like that. We played pool (as much as I've played in the last month, you'd think I'd be improving more than I am), enjoyed random bar food (mmmm, pizza & waffle fries), & hung out; then I went home.

Saturday, I worked a Girl Scout program from 8am-330pm, then went out with some of my coworkers to the Cheesecake Factory ; then rushed back to work an overnight. Upon our return we found that the building we work in had NO WORKING RESTROOMS due to a sewer issue. Yipe -- 180 people and no bathrooms? Luckily, the emergency plumber-guys were on the scene, & had everything back to normal by 8pm. The program went really well, except for this awful group of mothers (their scouts were fine, the adults were terrible) who talked through the programs, weren't happy with ANYTHING, and then gave us negative reviews on their evaluations AND wanted a partial refund -- the nerve! Note: if you hadn't been TALKING through the whole class, you might have actually noticed that it is FAR above a "poor" rating! If I were my boss, my response would be thus: "The other groups who were with you seemed to truly enjoy & learn from the programs, in fact, you are the only group who's ever reviewed these instructors in a negative light. In addition, we offered to address your main issues, but you refused. In light of this, we are unable to offer you a refund." That's the PC me -- the real me is thinking of adding, "We will understand if you choose not to return in the future, in fact, please don't" Oh well.

After spending 26 hours at the zoo (with only the Cheesecake excursion as a break), I went home & slept till 7pm Sunday. Oh, and I got a really good sunburn. Good meaning red, painful, and noticeable. Since I'm working today (Saturday), I got a day off this week, so I took Monday & slept late, then straightened the house.

Thursday, I had my Finance Midterm. I've decided that the main problem with having the first two hours of class time alloted for the midterm (& then having class afterwards) is that I had to find a way to entertain myself for AN HOUR AND A HALF when I finished the test in 30 minutes. Oh well, I did homework. Joy.

As I was leaving work yesterday, Mom called. Grandpa had apparently become unresponsive, and didn't recognize Grandma. The hospital's first thought was that he'd had a stroke. I rushed to join Mom & Grams at the hospital, Gramps was asleep. They took him for a CT scan, which didn't show anything major. When they brought him back, he recognized us & even smiled at me trying to be my normal goofy self. Ending up unable to do the things he wants to do would be the worst thing possible for Gramps, but not being recognized to the man you've been married to for 51 years (their anniversary was Thursday, by the way) had to be horrible for Grams. BUT, we remain positive. Please continue to send good thoughts!

I got my tax refund today. Imagine my suprise when I saw the amount deposited to my account was $480 more than I'd expected! I checked the IRS website (which was actually very helpful), turns out I'd made a calculation error & they'd caught & corrected it for me -- WHOO HOO!

In less than a week, I'll be in NC (see last post) -- I'm going tonight to buy at least one new pair of shorts (because all mine are TOO BIG!), in hopes that the weather will be nice!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Memehunter said...

The sorting hat says I belong in Ravenclaw. I've never read Harry Potter... is that good?