Monday, August 08, 2005

May I Have the Dictionary, Please?

My interest in historical stuff got the best of me this morning, when I found this article on yahoo. It's pretty nifty information; however, about halfway through the story I encountered this:
The monastery, which is in the desert west of the Red Sea, was founded by disciples of St. Anthony, a hermit who died in A.D. 356 and is regarded as the father of Christian monasticism. A colony of hermits settled around him and he led them in a community.

Okay, if you don't yet see my point, read that last sentence again: "A colony of hermits settled around him and he led them in a community."

Just to make sure I wasn't going OCD over nothing, I double checked the definition of "hermit" and found these definitions.

Please tell me that you understand now why I went crosseyed reading that. A hermit is, by definition, a person who lives in voluntary seclusion. Doesn't having a colony/community de-hermetize them?

Just wondering . . .

No comments: