Sunday, August 28, 2005

Argh!

Okay, so I just got an email through my Zoo Job -- one of the other Seasonal Instructors sending a copy of the now-infamous "let's all not buy gas for one day" message. Perhaps it's because I'm sick, but I really feel the need to be extra-irritable over this. For some nifty statistics on the gasoline situation in the US, see Robert's posting "I've Got Gas".

Here are my big issues with receiving this email:

(1) I figure that less than half the people who say they're going to avoid the pumps on 9/10 will actually do it.
(2) All the people who DO avoid the pumps will inevitably end up filling their tanks, probably the day before or the day after -- won't these "surges" counteract the "drop" you're hoping to create? Heck, if I worked for a gigantic oil magnate, I'd raise the price a few cents before & after the so-called "stick-it-to-'em" date {and what the hell kind of name is that?} and make a freakin' profit off all those people.
(3) Given, I've only taken two measly economics courses, but I'm thinking that in a situation of CONSTANT demand (in the long run, people NEED gasoline, even if they're not buying it right this minute), no one is going to "choke" on their supply volume.

Therefore, I'd like to offer my own suggestions for combating the recent rise at the pumps. None are really large-scale, fight Big Brother, Conspiracy Theory-esque, but feel free to avail yourself of any or all.
Tiffany's Ideas to Combat Rising Gasoline Prices:
(1) Walk.
(2) If it's too far to walk, ride a bike.
(3) Too far to bike? Take public transportation.
(4) Not available? Try carpooling.
(5) Have to drive by yourself? Trade in your freaking' gas guzzler and buy something more efficient (and by "more" efficient, I mean that it gets A MINIMUM of 23 miles to the gallon, because my Ranger can get 25).
(6) Fill your tanks in the evening.
(7) Drive with the windows down instead of using the AC.
(8) Write your legislators to push for funding for alternative fuels.


I think I shall patent that list. Everyone will pay me royalties when they walk. If I charge 10 cents per usage, it'll still be cheaper than 10% ethanol, right?

1 comment:

Robert said...

Right on! This is a really great link for statistics and reasons why that email is completely false.

Buying from select oil companies won't do anything. Oil companies buy oil from each other all the time. Like you said, the only way to bring down gas prices is to get rid of the demand. We need to use less of it. Period.

Maybe it is time to quit dragging our feet and invest in energy research. How about giving back funding to Universities so students can afford to attend? Or even cut the World Champion Solar Car team a fatty-boom-batty check for thier efforts? (Oh wait, that would be UMR that won that. Go Nerds!)