Thursday, April 28, 2005

Balance

Though I'm not sure who this story is originally from, it's a keeper -- enjoy!

The importance of balancing the different aspects of your life:

Toward the end of his career, a well-renowned professor of Brazilian literature & history decides to take a sabbatical & travel to the Amazon Basin.

Knowing nothing of the Amazon, the professor hires a guide from the one of the local Indian tribes. He says, "Indian, I will pay you to take me down the Amazon river and show me its wonders."

As is his nature, the Indian shrugs humbly & says "Yes, señor, whatever you say."

As they are floating down the river, the professor reflects on his life and all the scientific achievements that he has witnessed in his time. He looks at the Indian and says, "Indian, what wonders I have seen in my life. Do you know that we have put a man on the moon & brought him home safely?"

The Indian looks at the professor with amazement, looks up at the sky & says, "The moon, señor? A man has been to the moon? This I did not know. I can tell you what plants to eat to cure a fever, how to make a salve to sooth burnt skin, and which leaves can ease a woman’s labor pains, but I know nothing of men traveling to the moon."

The professor scoffs and says, "To live one’s days without knowing of the greatest human achievements, without knowing the wonders of science and technology, it is like you have lost one-third of your life!"

The Indian shrugs and says, "Yes, señor, whatever you say."

Farther down the river, the professor reflects on the research he has done and the literature he has published. He looks at the Indian and says, "Indian, what wonderful novels I have read in my life. Do you know of Don Quixote, the touchstone of Spanish literature?"

The Indian looks at the professor for a moment and replies, "Señor, I know nothing of this literature. I can tell you the history of my people and share with you stories passed down from my ancestors, but I know nothing of reading and writing."

The professor scoffs again and says, "To live your entire life without experiencing the wonders of the literary world, to know nothing of the greatest literary achievements, why, it is like you have lost one-third of your life!"

The Indian only shrugs and says, "Yes, señor, whatever you say."

Even farther down the Amazon, the professor is contemplating his work on the history of Brazil. He looks at the Indian and says, "Indian, what a marvelous county Brazil is! Do you know of the rich history and culture of this country?"

The Indian looks at the professor for a moment and replies, "Señor, I know nothing of the history of Brazil. I can tell you the history of the Amazon, for that is my home, but I know nothing of what is outside this jungle."

The professor scoffs again and says, "To not know the history and culture of one’s own country, to not know of the other cultures that comprise your mother country, why, it is like you have lost one-third of your life!"

The Indian only shrugs and says, "Yes, señor, whatever you say."

As the river approaches the sea, a storm blows in, and the waves grow higher and more powerful. As the rain pours down, one giant wave tips the boat over, throwing the professor and the Indian into the river. Clinging to the overturned boat, the professor yells, "Indian, what will we do? How will we get back to the shore?"

The Indian looks at the professor and says, "Tell me, Señor, do you know how to swim?"

The professor shakes his head and says, "I have spent my whole life in books. I can tell you of culture, history, literature, and science, but I never had reason to learn to swim!"

The Indian looks at the professor for a moment and replies, "Señor, you know many things that I do not; but to come to the Amazon and not know how to swim, why then, you have lost all of your life," and swims away.

No comments: