Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Random Stuff

Okay, here are some random things I have to share with you:

After almost 6 months on the Jenny Craig program, I am down Twenty-nine pounds! My plan is to hit 30 by Christmas, which will be a piece of (low-fat) cake & to be at my goal weight by my birthday in mid-March -- both are completely attainable.

I enrolled & registered for my first two 8-week sessions of classes for my MBA at Missouri Baptist University. I will be taking Managerial Accounting from January - March, & Financial Management from March - April. Tuition reimbursement forms have been turned in for work, so I'll eventually get some of the money back.

I have no clue what to get my little bro for Christmas. He already has most of the cool t-shirts from Northern Sun, maybe I'll try T-Shirt Hell. He's so freaking hard to shop for, I spend more time finding "the perfect gift" for him each year than I do on anyone else.

Today's story on how "little" details can change an entire story & a caution about making judgements without all the facts:
Apparently, yesterday my favorite morning radio show, Cornbread on WIL 92.3 got a call or email from an extremely unhappy parent wanting to share their story. "Parent" writes that their middle school child was in the lunchroom reading her Bible, when the Principal came over & said "you can't read that here" & ushered "child" to a semi-detention area "where she could read." This caused a lot of Anti-Principal ruckus with people talking about First-Amendment infringement & taking the separation of religion & state thing too far, "child" is being persecuted for her religious beliefs, etc. People called the school, complained on the radio, DJ said how it was unfair, blah blah blah.
This morning, another parent whose child attends the same school writes in to set the record straight. Apparently, students aren't allowed to have pencils, papers, or books OF ANY KIND in the lunchroom. Suddenly this goes from religious persecution by "the establishment" to a kid breaking the rules. Hmmmmm..... Parent2 goes on to add that Principal is wonderful & does a great job, & that the school board had already met & decided to allow kids to bring ONE book into the lunchroom. Problem solved, Principal was enforcing standard rules, and everyone else ends up with egg on their face. Props to the DJ for apologizing & then asking folks to please have all the facts before calling him with a story like this. When you're that noticeable, it's not easy to admit you goofed.

Okay, that's the end of the story, and the end of this post. I'm off to work, have a great day!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats on the weightloss. I'm getting myself primed to lose another 10 lbs before Christmas (totally do-able) so that I too am at the 30 lbs down mark. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both succeed.

I'm getting to the point where it's impossible to get the siblings anything without asking what they want pointblank. They are so hard to shop for.

Tiffany said...

AHA! For the first time EVER, I have my little bro's X-mas present BEFORE ANYONE ELSE'S!!! I can even tell you what it is, because I don't think he knows my blog exists, much less how to find it.

So I was at Walgreens picking up some X-mas lights for my balcony -- $9.99 for a 13-ft string of multi-colored icicle lights, not bad, but you can get a 2nd box for a penny -- that's 26 FEET of lightage for ten bucks! Anywho, I'm standing at the checkout, where they have those impulse buys, & there are little stuffed animals that sing when you push their hand/foot -- they had two characters from "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" - the classic claymation one -- which is little bro's FAVORITE movie of all time. I swiped them up, & proceeded to call him & leave the following voicemail: "Hi, it's me, just wanted to say that for the first time EVER, I got your X-mas present before anyone else's. Not that I'm telling you what it is, but know that I got it, so you can spend the next 24 days wondering what it is. Love you!"

Ahh, siblings...